This course will cover theoretical and practical activities designed to provide participants with the knowledge and skills to be able to recognise and control small emergencies on-site. This session focuses on responding to small workplace chemical spills.
This course has been developed to cover the broad range of emergencies and workplaces as considered in Australian Standards 3745-2010.
Unit of Competency
PUAFER008 Confine small workplace emergencies
- Types of emergencies
- Planning & Preparation for an emergency – AS3745 -2010
- “Sizing up” an emergency – assessing hazards and risks
- Responding to a hazardous materials incident
- Safely confine emergency where possible
- Use of initial response equipment- use the tools in a small spill kits to control the incident
- Understanding and selection of PPE
- Evacuation procedures – if required
- Disposal of waste, report and replace used items
- Use of tools in a small spill kit will be done as a practical component where circumstances allow
Assessment of knowledge will be conducted by use of a workbook and verbal questioning. Participants will also be required to demonstrate competence through a range of practical activities.
The ability to;
- Report/record faults and defects according to organisational procedures
- Gain access to, and interpret, material safety data sheets (MSDSs)
- Access and understand company/organisation standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Access and comply with WHS / OHS legislation
- Relate to a range of people from a range of cultural, linguistic, social and ethnic backgrounds, and a range of physical and intellectual abilities
- Interpersonal communication
- Communicate clearly by the means specified in the emergency plan
- Communicate effectively and assertively and show leadership in an incident
- Use literacy and numeracy skills as required to read, interpret and apply guidelines and protocols
- Use literacy and numeracy skills to adequately interpret documentation available in line with State/Territory regulations, legislation and policies
- Perform manual handling tasks and strenuous activities
There are no prerequisites for this unit.
Participants are required to be on time for all courses and bring a form of identification such as Australian Drivers Licence or Medicare Card for verification of details listed on the course enrolment form.
Due to the practical nature of this course, participants will be required to wear suitable attire such as long pants and work boots. Where appropriate other PPE such as High Visibility clothing, safety glasses and hard hats are to be worn.
For additional Participant Responsibilities, refer to the participant handbook.
Face to Face training will be conducted over a period of 2.5 hours including both theory and practical components.
Training can be conducted both on or offsite site provided access to a range of emergency equipment appropriate to the sites emergency plan and a suitable training room is available for use.
PARCOR caters for training onsite throughout Victoria including areas such as Melbourne, Geelong, Portland, Warrnambool, Colac, Bendigo, Ballarat, Horsham, Sale, Bairnsdale, Echuca, Mildura, Wangaratta, Dandenong, Frankston and Traralgon.
To ensure quality training and a safe learning environment, the maximum allowable group size is 12 participants.
What Information Will PARCOR Require?
Due to the assessment requirements of the unit of competency, PARCOR will need to be provided with the following information prior to training commencement;
- Use of training area for spill practical drills (a size of three carparks is often sufficient)
What Will Your Organisation Receive?
- Statement of Attainment issued to individual participants who successfully complete the requirements of the unit of competency and have a valid Unique Student Identifier (USI)
- Nationally Recognised Training Summary for your Health and Safety Office compliance file
How Often Should Reassessment be Conducted?
AS3745 requires initial emergency response refresher training at intervals not greater than two years.
Where Can I View the Unit of Competency?
PUAFER008 Confined Small Workplace Emergencies – http://training.gov.au/Training/Details/PUAFER008
- PARCOR Training Facility
- Building 9, Avalon Airport
- 80 Beach Road, Avalon Vic 3212