This course applies to persons who are required to enter confined space, for maintenance purposes, for cleaning, inspection or other reasons. It is required by all persons who are required to enter a confined space, as defined by the standard AS2865, or its authorised update or replacement.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY
MSMPER200 Work in accordance with an issued permit
MSMPER205 Enter Confined Space
RIIWHS202D Enter and work in confined spaces
- Legislation / Australian Standards
- Identification / Classification of Confined Spaces
- Confined Space Hazards and Risk assessment
- Gas monitoring / Ventilation
- Preparing confined space for entry
- Select, use and maintain protective equipment
- Permit Control Systems
- Entry Equipment
- Standby and Rescue Arrangements
- Finalising Permit
Assessment of knowledge will be conducted by use of a workbook and verbal questioning. Participants will also be required to demonstrate competence through a range of practical activities.
Age of 18 years or over.
The ability to;
- read, understand and complete workplace documentation
- explain, describe and verify sometimes complex needs and issues
- speak clearly and unambiguously in English
- understand regulatory requirements
- perform numeracy tasks to the level of measuring gas levels, temperatures and exposure limits
- climb ladders and/or other structures
- wear harnesses and/or other PPE as required
- perform manual handling tasks and strenuous activities
Those that suffer from claustrophobia or vertigo may find it difficult to undertake Confined Space Entry and fulfil the requirements of the course. If all requirements cannot be achieved a certificate of attendance may be issued in place of a Statement of Attainment.
MSMPER200 Work in Accordance with an Issued Permit- assessment of this unit may be undertaken in conjunction with MSMPER205 Enter Confined Space.
Participants are required to be on time for all courses and bring a form of identification such as drivers licence or Medicare card for verification of details listed on the course enrolment form.
Due to the practical nature of this course, participants will be required to wear suitable attire such as long pants and work boots. Where appropriate other PPE such as High Visibility clothing, safety glasses and hard hats are to be worn.
For additional Participant Responsibilities, please download the Participant Handbook.
Face to Face training will be conducted over a period of 8 hours including both theory and practical components. Training can be conducted both on or offsite site provided a training room and confined (or simulated space) are available for use.
PARCOR caters for training onsite throughout Victoria including areas such as Melbourne, Geelong, Portland, Warrnambool, Colac, Bendigo, Ballarat, Horsham, Sale, Bairnsdale, Echuca, Mildura, Wangaratta, Dandenong, Frankston and Traralgon.
PARCOR also conducts regular training sessions at our Head Office in Lara (20km from Geelong CBD or 60km from Melbourne CBD). See Public Courses for further information and dates.
To ensure quality training and a safe learning environment, the maximum allowable group size is 12 participants.
What Information Will Parcor Require?
Due to the assessment requirements of the unit of competency, PARCOR will need to be provided with the following information prior to training commencement;
- Types of confined spaces onsite
- Confined Space Entry Procedures
- Confined Space Entry Permit
- JSEA or SWMS
- List of Confined Space Entry equipment used onsite
What Will Your Organisation Receive?
- Statement of Attainment issued to individual participants who successfully complete the requirements of the unit of competency
- Certificate of Compliance for your Health and Safety Office compliance file
How Often Should Reassessment be Conducted?
AS2865-2009 Confined spaces requires ‘persons…be reassessed at appropriate intervals’. Industry regards reassessment on a two year cycle as good practice.
Where Can I View the Unit of Competency?
MSMPER200 Work in accordance with an issued permit – http://training.gov.au/Training/Details/MSMPER200
MSPER205 Enter Confined Space – http://training.gov.au/Training/Details/MSMPER205
RIIWHS202D Enter and work in confined spaces http://training.gov.au/Training/Details/RIIWHS202D
- 11 Clover Street, Lara VIC
- 72-76 Ryrie St Geelong VIC
- Level 10, Tower 4, World Trade Centre, Melbourne Vic